- Overview of Table control
- How to?
- Creating a Table control
- Characteristics of Table control
- Table/Looper control
- TreeView Table/Table control
- Limitations for Java
- Limitations for Android
- Limitations for iOS
Overview of Table control
The Table control is used to simplify the display and the input of information stored in memory or coming from a data file, a view or a query.
A Table control is contains rows and columns. The intersection between a row and a column defines a cell.
A Table control can be managed row by row, column by column or cell by cell. A Table control can be displayed horizontally or vertically.
The information displayed in a Table control can:
- be defined programmatically: it is referred to as Table control populated programmatically.
- come from a variable: this is referred to as Table control based on a variable.
- come from a data file or query: it is referred to Table control based on a data file. There are two types of Table controls based on data files:
- Table controls with direct access to the data source: the Table control directly handles records from the query or data file.
- Table controls with in-memory data source: the Table control handles the data file records loaded in memory (optimized Table control based on a data file).
Creating a Table control
To create a Table control:
- On the "Creation" tab, in the "Data" group:
- expand "Table and List Box" and select "Table (Vertical)".
- expand "Table" and select "Table (Vertical)".
- expand "Table" and select "Table".
- Click where the control will be created in the window or page. The Table control creation wizard starts automatically.
- Answer the questions and validate the control creation.
Remark: The dimensions of the control are optimized to take up the available space at the specified position. If the control size does not suit you, press Ctrl + Z: the control size will be reset to default.
To view the control characteristics, select "Description" in the context menu of the control. Two types of information can be viewed:
- the information regarding the entire Table control (all you have to do is select the name of the control).
- the information regarding each of the columns (all you have to do is select the name of a column).
- To easily create a Table control based on a data file from a data file described in the data model editor, simply drag the selected data file from the "Project explorer" or "Analysis" pane and drop it in the editor.
- To easily create a Table control based on a variable from the array variables of the current window or page, simply drag the selected variable from the "Project explorer" pane and drop it in the editor.
Characteristics of Table control
In the characteristics of Table control, you have the ability to specify:
For more details, see:
- To add new columns in a Table control, use the context menu of control in the window editor. "Add a column..." adds a new column of the desired type in the selected control after the existing columns.
- The height of the rows in the Table control is too small in the editor? all you have to do is use the mouse to increase the height of the table rows. This trick is very useful for the multiline columns and the container columns.
- You have the ability to quickly duplicate a column. To do so:
- Open the Table control description window.
- Select the column to duplicate.
- Open the context menu of the column and select "Duplicate column"'.
Remark: This option is also available in the "New" drop-down menu.
Remark: The height specified for the first row of the Table control is applied to all other control rows.
To easily handle a Table control, you must be familiar with the following vocabulary:
|Selection bar||Used to view the selected element. A specific color is used in most cases.|
|Table control based on a data file||The Table control is based on a data file or on a query. The control elements correspond to the file records.|
|Table control populated programmatically||The Table control is not based on a data file or on a query. The elements displayed in the control are defined by the developer (through programming).|
|Single-selection Table control||The user can select a single element in the Table control.|
|Multi-selection Table control||The user can select several elements at the same time in the Table control (via the Ctrl key).|
|Table control based on a variable||The Table control is based on a WLanguage variable. The elements displayed in the control correspond to the data found in the variable.|
A Table control can be automatically transformed into a Looper control:
- Select the Table control to transform.
- On the "Refactoring and swapping" tab, in the "Transformations" group, expand "Modification" and select "Table to Looper".
TreeView Table/Table control
WINDEV and WINDEV Mobile allow you to automatically transform a Table control into a TreeView Table control (and conversely):
- Select the Table control (or the TreeView Table control) to handle.
- On the "Refactoring and swapping" tab, in the "Transformations" group, expand "Modification" and select "Table/TreeView Table".
Limitations for Java
The following characteristics are not supported in Java:
- automatic calculation in the columns of a Table control.
- tooltip of the vertical scrollbar.
- proportional scrollbar.
- lock of records currently modified.
- column fixed to the left.
- ellipsis mode in the text columns.
Limitations for Android
- Data input is not available in Table controls based on a data file. TableAdd, TableAddLine, TableInsert, TableInsertLine, TableModify and TableModifyLine are not available for Table controls based on a data file.
- Only the automatic iteration is available for Table controls based on a data file. The programmed iteration is not available.
- The Table controls based on a data file loaded in memory are not limited.
Limitations for iOS
- The Table controls are available in read-only: data input is not available in this version.
- The Table controls based on a variable are not available.
Unit examples (WINDEV): The Table/TreeView Table control (Progress Bar columns)
Training (WINDEV): WD DataBinding
Unit examples (WEBDEV): The Ajax Table control
Unit examples (WEBDEV): The Ajax Table control in PHP
This page is also available for…