- Creating the project
- Dashboard and project elements
- Project elements
- Operations performed on a project
- Technical documentation of the project
- Type of technical documentation
- Print areas
The first step to create an application consists in creating a project.
When creating a project, you will be asked multiple questions so that your project meets all your expectations. All project characteristics specified when creating the project can be modified later.
To create a project
- Click in the WINDEV quick access buttons. The element creation window appears: click "Project". The project creation wizard starts.
- Specify the different project options. The main options are as follows:
- the type of project. Multiple options are available: application, component, Java application, ... These options will be presented later. In most cases, a project is used to generate an application (executable).
- the operating system (Windows or Linux).
- the creation mode (blank project or based on an example).
- the runtime mode and the type of executable to generate (if necessary).
- the creation mode of the project. You can create a blank project or a project based on an existing example.
- the name and location. These options cannot be modified. The project corresponds to a ".WDP" file. All elements associated with the project will be created in the specified directory.
- whether the project will be used by several developers. You have the ability to use the source code manager (SCM) to share the project.
- the code style. This code style is used to automatically prefix names of controls, names of windows, etc, ... It is also possible to automatically add prefixes when creating variables.
- the style book.
- the supported languages. These languages will be proposed by default if an option can be translated in a control, window, report, etc.
- Specify whether the project must use a database. If yes, you can use an existing database, or create a new one.
- Validate the wizard. The created project becomes the current project.
- If you chose to create a database, the analysis creation wizard will start automatically.
- The specified information can be modified in the project description. To open the project description window, go to the "Project" tab, "Project" group and click "Description".
Dashboard and project elements
All project managers seek to have a global and synthetic vision of the progress status of the projects they lead.
The QA manager wants to know the number of bugs and their priority, and follow up their status.
The product manager would like to know what new features are requested by the users.
The developer wants to quickly open the most frequently used project elements, sections of code, etc.
The dashboard meets all these requirements. Additionally, it contains different indicators or "Widgets". These widgets can be configured by the user: the user can add, delete or resize them.
You can also display the project statistics (e.g., the number of windows), the results of different audits (static audit, dynamic audit, etc.).
To display the dashboard of your project:
- In the open document tabs, open the context menu of the "P" ("Project") icon.
- Select "Display dashboard".
For more details, see Project dashboard
The project includes windows, reports, queries, sets of procedures, among others.
To know the list of elements of a project, on the "Project" tab, in the "Project" group, click "List of elements".
This option is used to:
- add to your project elements belonging to projects that can be accessed from your computer. The corresponding files will not be moved to the directory of your project.
- delete elements from your project. The corresponding files are not physically deleted.
To quickly find an element in your project, press "Ctrl + E" from any editor.
Operations performed on a project
Let's see the main operations that can be performed on a project:
Technical documentation of the project
WINDEV allows you to print different technical documentations describing all the elements of the project (windows, reports, data files, items, etc.). To print the technical documentation:
- on the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, expand and select "Print project technical documentation". The technical documentation can contain all the characteristics of the project.
- on the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, click . In this case, the technical documentation will contain only the details of the current element (window, report, query, etc.).
Type of technical documentation
There are different types of technical documentation:
- Overall: Contains basic information about the project elements.
- Code: Contains the code of all the project objects and procedures.
- Full documentation: Contains all project information. This type of technical documentation can be very extensive.
- Custom: Corresponds to a selection of information to print.
Generating the technical documentation
The technical documentation can be printed on the selected printer. The technical documentation is generated and displayed in the report viewer. You can:
- start the print job,
- export the technical documentation as PDF (via the "Export" tab of the report viewer).
If graphical representations (LDM, UML diagrams, etc.) must be printed, the print areas must be set before
printing the technical documentation.
To specify the print areas of the current graphic representation:
- Display the print areas in the current editor. For example, in the data model editor, go to the "Display" tab, "Help for edit" group, and check "Print areas".
- A series of borders that represent the printable areas in the documentation will appear in the current editor.
- Reduce the graphic representation (change the value in the combo box with a percentage in the "Display" pane, or use the Ctrl + Mouse wheel shortcut) to see the entire graph.
- With the mouse:
- move these borders to the desired location by keeping the mouse button down (the mouse cursor is black).
- choose the number of pages on which the graphic representation must be printed (the mouse cursor turns into a North-West/South-East double arrow).
Click [Add] to post a comment