- This lesson will teach you the following concepts
- Creating the executable
- In this case
- Choose "Custom setup"
- Validate the setup directory of application.
- To update the application, you will have to re-create a setup for the application
- the setup of the reference application
- The setup program obtained at the end of the wizard includes:
Lesson 4.14. Deploying the application
This lesson will teach you the following concepts
- Creating the executable.
- Help about the new features.
- Creating the setup.
Lesson duration: Estimated time
Overview. A full application was created, allowing you to discover several WINDEV features. We must now generate the executable and install the application on the user computers. That's what we are going to do now
|If you did not perform the operations in the previous lessons, you can follow this lesson by opening a corrected project: in WINDEV's home page (Ctrl + <), click "Tutorial" and select "Full application (Answer)"|
Creating the executable is child's play: a menu option and a few mouse clicks are sufficient.. We will now present in detail the different steps for creating the executable
- You can click the "Finish" button to validate all the steps of the wizard at any time.
- To create the executable:. Expand among the quick access buttons, and select "Generate the 32-bit Windows executable (.exe)"
|Create an executable|
Generating the executable
- WINDEV also allows you to create 64-bit executables, Linux executables, services, Java applications, ....
- The wizard for creating an executable starts
This option is not available in Express version..
- Describe the general options of executable:: the executable name
- we will keep the default name.: the name of icon associated with the executable
- you have the ability to select an icon in the image catalog.. the splash screen. Several types of splash screens are available. A splash screen with animated text is selected by default.
The "Options" button is used to configure it
- Wizard for creating the executable. Choose "No splash screen" and go to the next step
- For the operating mode of executable, we will keep the default options. Go to the next step.. You have the ability to customize the error message of application
- We will keep the message proposed by default. Go to the next step.. The wizard proposes to enable the telemetry in the application.
|We won't be using this feature|
Go to the next step
|Remark. Telemetry allows you to get detailed statistics about the use of your application by the end users|
Telemetry returns various information about your deployed applications, giving you the ability to improve them.
- See the online help for more details about implementing and configuring the telemetry..
We will keep the default options. Go to the next step.
|This step is used to specify whether the executable will take the patches into account|
|When a modification is performed in the application, to avoid having to provide the entire executable, the additional resources (windows, reports, ...) can be supplied as patches. These patches are additional libraries.|
If the option "" was checked when the executable was created, the elements found in the patch will replace the elements found in the application library when the application starts.
See for more details.
- This step is used to manage the executable languages. The multilingual feature will be presented in another lesson. We will keep the default options. Go to the next step.
- This step displays all files that will be included in the executable library. Those are the project elements that can be handled by the end user. We will keep the default options. Go to the next step.
- This step concerns the directory of HFSQL Classic data files used by the application. Select "" if necessary. This option is used to install the data files:
- Automatic (recommended).
- in the data directory of application (if the executable is installed in "Program files").
- in the executable directory
- Go to the next step.. We are now going to type the information about the executable.
This information is displayed in the Windows explorer by selecting the file properties: Type the following information.
This step can also be used to sign the executable if necessary
- Go to the next step.. Wizard for creating the executable
- This step concerns the version number of executable
- You can use:. a format compatible with the earlier WINDEV versions,
- a standard Windows format.
- Select this option..
Go to the next step of the wizard
The framework corresponds to the different libraries required for the executable to operate.. The option "Framework DLL beside the executable" allows you to use the necessary libraries only.
This option is not available in Express version.
These DLLs are copied into the executable directory.
The option "Framework included in the executable" allows you to distribute the executable only (the DLLs being found in the executable). The option "Common framework" allows you to use the framework common to all the WINDEV applications installed on the computer.
- With this option, the framework is installed once only on the computer (it can also be downloaded by Internet) and it is used by all WINDEV applications.
Select "Common framework" and choose "Common WINDEV framework"
- Go to the next step.. This step concerns Windows Vista (and later).
You have the ability to include a manifest for a use in Windows Vista (and later).
For our example, check "".
- Go to the next step. Don't include a manifest for Windows Vista and later. WINDEV proposes to perform a project backup: This backup is used to keep a project version whenever the executable is created
- In our case, select "No. Don't make a backup copy of the project" and validate the wizard.. The executable is created
It can be run immediately to check its operating mode. To do so, click the "Run the executable" button.
A lot of options to fill but after a first configuration of your choices
|Remark. You also have the ability to click the steps specified in the wizard in order to reach a wizard screen directly|
Creating the setup. The setup is created via a wizard. This wizard allows you to define the main choices. You also have the ability to use the setup editor if the options proposed by the wizard are not suitable. We will not see its use in detail in this lesson
We will not see its use in detail in this lesson. See the online help for more details.
- We will now present the different steps for creating the setup program
- You can click the "Finish" button to validate all the steps of the wizard at any time.. To create the setup program:
- On the "Project" pane, in the "Generation" group, expand "Setup procedure" and select "Create the setup procedure": The wizard for creating the executable and the setup starts..
- The executable was already created
- the selected options are stored. In the wizard, click on "Additional information" in the "Executable" section.: The wizard proposes to perform a project backup
- Select "No.
Don't make a backup copy of the project" and go to the next step.. The wizard proposes to create the page of new features.
This option is used to create a help file in order to present the new features to the end users
- This option is not available in Express version. In this case, go to step 8 directly..
|Documentation of the new features|
Create a documentation for the new features
|You have the ability to define the elements that will be automatically included in the help file|
- Keep the default options and go to the next step. Remark. If the application already contains a help system, it can be used in order to include a page for the new features.. Validate the message. The executable is automatically created (with the options defined when creating the executable) as well as the help system. You now have the ability to type specific information in the help system
- In the example, leave the information created by default. To resume the creation of the setup program, click , which corresponds to ""
Individual setup for an independent application, installed and started on each computer
- The help is automatically compiled.. Continue the creation of the setup procedure
- Continue the creation of the setup procedure. Setup creation options. Let's now go to the "Setup" section of the wizard. In this first screen, choose the setup mode:
- We will choose this option.. Setup with automatic update, for a setup on a server
- The applications will be installed from the server. In case of update, only the server must be updated
- The applications installed on the computers will be automatically updated.. Go to the next step.. Choose a standard setup
- Go to the next step.. We will not change the default setup directory
- Go to the next step.
- Keep the files proposed in the list of installed files. By default, WINDEV proposes the Executable file and the help file (created by the help of new features). We are going to add the data files:
- Click the "Add" button
- The Windows explorer displays the content of the generation directory of application.. Select the Customer, Orders, OrderLine, PaymentMode and Product data files (files with ".fic", ".ndx" and ".mmo" extension).
- Validate: The files are automatically positioned in the data directory of application. . Creating the setup
- We will choose the optional tools to install and we will include the uninstaller. The uninstaller will allow the users to uninstall the application from the Windows program manager
- Go to the next step.. Setup - Additional modules. . Express
- The choice of optional tools is not available in Express version. In this case, go to step 16 directly
- We will select WDOptimizer. This tool is used to optimize the data files of application on a regular basis.
- Click "Medium" on the left of wizard. The setup will be generated in a single directory
- By default, the setup program is created in the "Install" subdirectory of project
Sign the setup with a certificate. This option is used to ensure the integrity of setup pack.. Validate
- The setup program is automatically created.
- A screen is displayed, allowing you to check the setup or to open the generation directory.. NOTE5
- NOTE5_1. Installing an application
- In the window for the end of setup creation, click the "Test" button. If this window was closed, run the "Install.exe" program found in the directory of setup program:
- The application setup starts.: We are going to follow the different steps of setup program for the "WD Full Application" application..
- If you are using an operating system corresponding to Windows Vista (or later), a window requests the authorization to run the program: Validate this window..
- Choose the language of setup program and click "OK". . Setup languages
- The setup wizard starts
- Two setup modes are available
- Quick setup. The setup is performed with the parameters specified by the application provider.
The wizard asks for the setup directory of application.
Validate the setup directory of application.
Go to the next step and end the application setup.
- The application setup starts
Validate the different setup steps. NOTE6.
NOTE6_1. The different types of deployment.
We have performed a simple application deployment
- In the wizard for setup creation, WINDEV also proposes setups with automatic update.
Several setup modes are available for a WINDEV application:. Stand-alone setup:.
This type of setup is used to create a unique setup program
To update the application, you will have to re-create a setup for the application
Then, the end user will have to install this new program
This is the type of setup that was just performed.
- Setup with automatic update:. This type of setup is used to automatically detect the updates when starting the application
- If an update is available, the user can perform this update immediately. This type of setup is available via the network or via the Web. You also have the ability to perform a multi-site setup
We are now going to present the operating mode of a setup with update.. NOTE6_3
Setup with network update. The creation of the setup program is performed via the wizard for creating the setup program ("Setup procedure" option in the "Project" pane).
the setup of the reference application
The reference application must be installed on the network (in a shared directory or on a server for example), accessible to all the end users of the application.
the application setup itself
This setup is included in the reference application
- It can be accessed once the reference application is installed.. The diagram below presents the setup mode of an application that is using a local HFSQL Classic database, with a network update
- . Setup with network update. The version of reference application is automatically checked whenever the application is started by the end user
If this version was modified (if the reference version was updated for example), an update is automatically proposed for the final application.. NOTE6_4
Setup with Internet update: The same principle is used by the setup with Internet update..
The setup program obtained at the end of the wizard includes:
the setup of the reference application and the Web page used to download the client setup
- These elements must be installed on an HTTP server.
- the application setup itself
Click [Add] to post a comment