- Preliminary points
- Tutorial overview
- Legend of the symbols in this tutorial
- How to access the online help?
- If you are familiar with WINDEV 27...
- What is WINDEV used for?
: This is a Tutorial. We advise you to refer to the online help when using WINDEV.
The purpose of this tutorial is to help you discover WINDEV, get acquainted with the editors and learn the main concepts.
This tutorial does not cover all the features in WINDEV.
Spend at least a few hours to follow this tutorial and learn WINDEV: it is a good investment!
If you try to start developing an application straight away, you will lose time, much more than the few hours spent on this tutorial.
The tutorial has been designed to be followed in two ways:
- follow all the detailed exercises in each lesson (recommended method).
- or, if you are in a hurry and already have significant experience, you can simply read this tutorial without doing the exercises (all the actions are illustrated). However, in order to quickly assimilate the main concepts, we recommend that you follow the tutorial step by step.
As WINDEV is constantly changing, the screenshots in the tutorial may be different from the windows displayed in your product.
This tutorial has been designed to progressively teach you how to use WINDEV. By following this tutorial:
- you will discover the main concepts explained informally; these are the concepts you should learn and understand.
- you will also be asked to perform operations that illustrate the concepts just explained.
As you progress through the tutorial, if you want to take a closer look at a concept or if you want to get more details about a programming function, see the online help (accessible from the editors).
The size of a lesson is not necessarily proportional to its relevance.
And don't forget to take a look at the examples provided with WINDEV: they are very instructive!
Legend of the symbols in this tutorial
|This symbol indicates the duration of the lesson. Please note that the actual time may vary according to your level of experience.|
|An example is available to complement the lesson. The examples are available in the WINDEV home page (Ctrl + <).|
|This symbol introduces a "Tip": reading the associated text is strongly recommended.|
|This symbol introduces a "Warning": reading the associated text is essential.|
|This symbol introduces a "Note": reading the associated text is recommended.|
How to access the online help?
The WINDEV online help allows you to get detailed information about the 4200 WLanguage functions. It also contains the help of the editors, controls, tips, etc.
The online help is available at any time in WINDEV:
- In the code editor, a specific help is available for each function via the F1 key.
- In WINDEV, dialog boxes can show a button that opens the corresponding help page.
- The help menu of the editors ("Help" option available on the "Home" tab, in the "Online help" group of the WINDEV menu) allows you to start the online help.
- The help can be displayed:
- in an Internet browser, if you have Internet access:
- in a specific "help browser":
|It is recommended to check the online help rather than the local help. The online help is updated on a regular basis. |
The WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile online help is available from any computer with Internet access. The IDEs do not need to be installed.
Users can add comments on the documentation pages: personal notes, examples, links and more.
Remark: To open the local help from the editor:
- On the "Home" tab, in the "Environment" group, expand "Options" and select "General options of WINDEV".
- In the "Help" tab, select:
- the access mode to the help.
- the help content: common help for WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile or help for the current IDE only.
If you are familiar with WINDEV 27...
Even if you are already familiar with WINDEV 27, you can still find this tutorial very useful: it's a good opportunity to "review" the features of WINDEV!
WINDEV is a DevOps Integrated Development Environment. It allows you to develop applications in many fields:
- Stock management, inventory, product tracking,
- Adjustment and monitoring of machines on an assembly line,
- Taking orders for fast processing in a temporary outlet (fairs, schools, booth, etc.).
- Customer forms,
- Help with making snap decisions on a cell phone,
- Checking the identity of visitors at an event: exhibition, product showcase, etc.
- On-call doctors or vets,
- Taking information in a temporary outlet: trade fair, street poll, stadium, etc.
WINDEV is an integrated development environment that includes all the tools required to develop an application.
Unlike other programming languages, there is no need to find and add modules to be able to design, check and install an application.
You will be surprised by the simplicity of WLanguage, WINDEV's 5th Generation Language: a few hours are all you need to become familiar with it, a week is usually enough to fully master its potential!
WLanguage is available in English.