- Creating a help
Creating an automatic help
The Automatic Application Features (AAF) allow you to add features to your application without having to write a single line of code. All you have to do is check the relevant options in order to benefit from these features.
You have the ability to generate a help for your application.
WINDEV includes a help editor that allows you to generate a full help system for your application.
The WINDEV help editor generates a help skeleton in order to help you build a help system. The main aspects of your applications are described.
You will find pages presenting:
- the features of a Table control: the use of magnifiers, the sort in columns, the display of a popup menu, ...
This page is automatically generated if your application includes at least one window with a Table control and if you choose to document this type of window.
- the features of the report viewer window.
This page is automatically generated if your application includes at least one report and if you choose to document at least one report.
This automatic generation increases the value of your applications by making it easier for your users to learn how to use them.
Remark: In the current version, only the use of Table controls and the report viewer window are automatically documented. Other automatically generated pages will be included in the forthcoming versions.
The automatic help pages are generated when creating the help. These pages are included according to the choices made in the wizard for help creation. For example, the description page of the report viewer features will only be included if you choose to document at least one report.
To generate a help:
- Click in the quick access buttons. The creation window appears: click "Architecture" then "Help".
- A wizard helps you create the help system. Specify the requested information until you reach the plane used to select the windows to document.
- If you select at least one window containing a Table control, a help page is automatically generated to explain the features of this control.
- In the next step, you can select the reports to document. By selecting at least one report, the help page for the report viewer window is automatically generated.
- Finish the wizard: your help file is generated.
You will notice that a "Miscellaneous" section was included in the summary of help file. This section contains the help pages that were automatically generated.