- List Box controls containing more than 10 000 elements
- Visibility/Invisibility of elements in a List Box or Combo Box control
- Customizing the elements found in a List Box or Combo Box control
- Sorted/Unsorted List Box control
- Tabulations: Multiselection List Box control
- Adding an element onto the browser
<List Box>.Insert (Function)
In french: <Liste>.Insère
Inserts an element into a memory List Box control, a memory ListView control or a memory Combo Box control.
- To add an element at the end of List Box (or Combo Box) control, use <List Box>.Add.
- <List Box>.Insert can be used on single-selection and multiselection List Box controls
- To manage the content of a Combo Box control found in a container table column, use Content.
: The element will only be added to the page displayed in the browser. See Remarks for more details.
This function is now available for WINDEV applications in Linux.
// Add "Clark" in 4th position to "LIST_CustomerList"
<Result> = <List Box control>.Insert(<Element> [, <Image> [, <Element subscript>]])
- True if the element was inserted,
- False otherwise.
returns no result.
<List Box control>: Control name
Name of memory List Box or memory Combo Box control to use.
<Element>: Character string (with quotes)
Element that must be inserted into the specified memory List Box (or Combo Box) control.
This parameter can contain:
- Carriage Return characters (CR) to add several rows. In this case:
- if <Element subscript> is not specified, the elements are actually added.
- If <Element subscript> is specified, only the first element will be added.
- tabs (TAB) to obtain a multi-element List Box control (see Notes).
To add several consecutive spaces, non-breakable space characters must be used: Charact(160).
<Image>: Optional character string (with quotes)
Name and path of image that will be added into a ListView control. This parameter is taken into account for ListView controls displayed in ListView mode only. If this parameter is not specified, the default image (defined in the "Details" tab in the description window of control) will be used.
<Element subscript>: Optional integer
Subscript of element to insert.
If this parameter:
- is not specified, the element is inserted:
- before the current element in a single-selection List Box control. If there is no current element, the element is inserted at the end of the memory List Box (or Combo Box) control.
- at the end of the List Box (or Combo Box) control in a multiselection List Box control.
- is greater than the number of elements found in the List Box (or Combo Box) control, the element is inserted at the end of the memory List Box (or Combo Box) control. The number of elements found in a List Box (or Combo Box) control is returned by <List Box>.Count.
- is equal to 0, the element is added at the beginning of memory List Box (or Combo Box) control.
List Box controls containing more than 10 000 elements
The maximum number of elements found in a List Box control is limited by the available memory (theoretical maximum: 2 billion rows). Nevertheless, filling a List Box control with an important number of elements (more than 10 000) affects the performances.
To add a large number of elements to a List Box control, we recommend you use a browsing List Box control (that is a List Box control directly linked to a HFSQL data file).
Tabulations: Multiselection List Box control
To manage the tabulations in a List Box control (alignment of columns), use the TAB constant. For example:
LIST_Customer.Insert(LastName + TAB + FirstName)
In this example, all the first names start at the same position and are aligned one under the other.
: The first call to <List Box>.Insert
defines the position of tabulations. These positions will be taken as reference for all values added thereafter. Similarly, if values have been typed entered in the editor, the positions of these values are taken as reference. During the first call to <List Box>.Insert
, we advise you to define the width of columns with Complete
. For example, to fix the width of columns found in "LIST_Customer" to 10 characters:
LIST_Customer.Insert(Complete(LastName, 10) + TAB + Complete(FirstName, 10))
Adding an element onto the browser
When adding an element in browser code, this element is added to the page displayed in the browser only. In order for this element to be added onto the server, <List Box>.Insert must be run on the server.
: In "Automatic and immediate AJAX" mode, all you have to do is switch the server process containing <List Box>.Insert
to automatic AJAX mode. That's it! No additional programming is required. For more details, see AJAX
- To insert an element into a Table control, use <Table>.Insert.
- <List Box>.Insert can be used on a "Combo Box" column found in a Table control .
This page is also available for…
Click [Add] to post a comment