- Creating a composite report
- Characteristics of composite reports and sub-reports
- Characteristics specific to the composite reports
- Characteristics of sub-reports
The report editor gives you the ability to create "Composite" reports. In this case, the report includes several sub-reports. Each sub-report can display a different set of data and use a specific orientation. The different sub-reports are printed one after another.
- In the editor:
- At runtime:
: The report editor proposes several methods for printing several reports in a single document:
- the internal reports, that are used to print several reports side by side. For more details, see Internal Report control.
- the sequencing of reports that can be performed through programming. This method can be easily implemented. For more details, see Sequencing reports.
- the nested reports, that are used to create sequences of complex reports, with management of page footers. For more details, see Nested reports.
Creating a composite report
To create a "Composite" report:
- Click in the quick access buttons.
- The creation window appears: click "Report" then "Report".
- The report creation wizard starts.
- Select the type of report: "Composite report". Go to the next step of the wizard via the arrow buttons.
- Specify in the wizard the number of sub-reports that will be included in the composite report. Go to the next step of the wizard.
- Give a name to your report and validate.
- The composite report appears in creation in the report editor. You must define the characteristics of each sub-report.
For each sub-report:
Click the link "<Click here to define the sub-report>". The wizard for defining the sub-report is displayed. You can:
- Create a new sub-report.
- the type of sub-report to create (form, table, ...). For more details, see Types of reports.
- the data source of the sub-report (data file, query, ...). For more details, see Report data source.
- the elements of the sub-report (controls, sort conditions, breaks, ...).
- Give a name to the sub-report and validate the creation of the sub-report.
- Use an existing report.
- Select the report to display in the sub-report.
- Give a name to the sub-report and validate the creation of the sub-report. By default, the sub-report is named: "S<ReportName>".
Characteristics of composite reports and sub-reports
Characteristics specific to the composite reports
- The composite report includes several sub-reports. All the sub-reports are directly viewed in the report editor.
- The composite report has a name, as well as each sub-report. The different sub-reports of the composite report are listed in the "Project explorer" pane.
- Several methods can be used to view the description window of the composite report:
- On the "Modification" tab, click the dialog box launcher of the "Composite report" group.
- Select "Composite report description" in the context menu of the report.
- The description window of the composite report is used to:
- Define the caption of the report and its name ("General" tab).
- Define the export buttons available in the report viewer ("UI" tab).
- Define the behavior if the sub-reports are empty ("UI" tab).
- Make the report modifiable in Reports & Queries ("Details" tab).
- Define the languages supported by the report ("Language" tab).
- Manage the sub-reports ("Sub-reports" tab): you have the ability to add or delete sub-reports, to modify their print order, ...
Characteristics of sub-reports
- The sub-reports can be accessed in the editor by opening the composite report.
- To view the description window of the sub-report:
- Click in the sub-report.
- On the "Modification" tab, click the dialog box launcher of the "Report" group. You also have the ability to select "Sub-report description" from the popup menu of the report.
- The description window of the sub-report is used to select the report to display.
- The sub-reports can be reports with parameters. In this case, to initialize the parameters of the sub-report, you must use iInitSubReport.
- The report displayed by a sub-report can be modified through programming via iChangeSubReportSource.
Training (WINDEV): WD Reports
This page is also available for…