- This lesson will teach you the following concepts
- Reminder : AWP mode
- The available methods
- SEO wizard
- Properties of pages
- Update frequency
- Importance in the site
- Navigation map
- Physical naming of pages
This lesson will teach you the following concepts
- SEO wizard.
- Properties of pages.
- Navigation map.
- Physical naming of pages.
Estimated time: 20 mn
This lesson presents the best practices to adopt in order for your Internet site to be properly optimized in search engines. Indeed, having an Internet site is good, but optimizing it for search engines is even better!
|This section concerns the developers of Internet sites only. SEO is not essential if you are developing an Intranet site.|
|If you did not perform the operations in the previous lessons, you can follow this lesson by opening a corrected project: on the "Home" pane, in the WEBDEV home page (Ctrl + <), click "Tutorial", then click "Full WEBDEV Site (With pages)".|
Reminder : AWP mode
At the beginning of this tutorial, we presented the differences between a WEBDEV site in Session mode and a WEBDEV site in AWP mode.
Only the AWP mode allows you to have page URLs that are independent, fixed and directly addressable.
To be optimized, an Internet site must necessarily be developed in AWP mode.
The available methods
WEBDEV proposes several tools to improve the search engine optimization of your AWP pages:
- An seo wizard.
- The properties of pages.
- The navigation map.
We are going to present these different methods.
WEBDEV is supplied with an SEO wizard.
- To start this wizard, go to the "Project" pane, "Project" group, expand "SEO" and select "SEO wizard".
The wizard proposes tips to improve search engine optimization. The most important tips are as follows:
- Title of pages: The title of pages must reflect the content and contain the important keywords. The page title is defined in the description window of the page, for each language.
- Keywords of pages: We advise you to associate keywords with a page. To define these keywords:
- Display the description window of "PAGE_List_of_new_products" page: display the popup menu and select "Description".
- Display the "Details" tab.
- In the "SEO" section, click "Edit expressions and keywords".
- Alternative text: The alternative texts are used to replace images when these ones are not displayed (because the Web user explicitly asked not to display the images, because they are not loaded yet, because the Web user is using a browser in text mode or because a screen reader for partially sighted person is used).
The alternative texts describe the image and they are indexed by the search engines. Therefore, they must be chosen with great attention.
The alternative text of an image is defined in the description window of the Image control, in the "Help" tab.
As already seen, the SEO wizard indicates several modifications that can be performed in the page description window:
- Page title,
- Keywords of pages, ...
Other properties that influence SEO can be defined in the page description window:
- Update frequency,
- Importance in the site.
The update frequency tells the search engine how often the page should be reindexed.
Whenever possible, you should indicate a frequency close to reality:
- If the page changes more often that what is specified, some versions may not be indexed.
- If the page changes less often, the operation performed by the search engine will induce an unnecessary load on the server and the re-indexing may be penalized.
Importance in the site
This criterion allows the search engine to identify the page that will be proposed first to the Web user when several site pages correspond to a search.
The navigation map defines the organization of your site. In SEO, it has two uses:
- allow you to display the "Site map" control to guide the Web users within the site.
- generate the sitemap.xml file.
- To define the navigation map:
- In the ribbon, on the "Project" pane, in the "Web" group, click "Navigation map".
- A window is opened, allowing you to build the tree structure of your site. An automatic build mode can help you create a tree structure by automatically detecting the links between pages. The navigation map can be configured later.
- The sitemap file is automatically built by WEBDEV from the navigation map. It is generated in the _WEB directory of your site and it is named _sitemap.xml.
The sitemap.xml file must be supplied to the tools for webmasters of search engines so that they can index the content of your site.
To improve SEO even more, you can define the physical name of AWP pages so that it is different in every language (and different from the logical name as well).
For example, a page displaying a sales dashboard whose logical name (the name used in programming) is PAGE_SalesDASH can be generated in French in the ‘tableau-de-bord-ventes.awp' file and in English in the ‘sales-dashboard.awp' file.
- To configure the generation name of a page:
- Open the description window of "PAGE_List_of_new_products" page.
- In the "General" tab, click the "Language" button ( ) on the right of "Generated file" control.
- A window used to configure the name of generated pages is displayed:
- You can change the page name and validate.
Click [Add] to post a comment