- How to?
- Creating the help system of an application or website
- Viewing the help system properties
Create the help system in WINDEV, WEBDEV or WINDEV Mobile
These are the main steps to create a help file (HTML, CHM or PDF):
For WEBDEV sites or WINDEV Mobile applications, it is recommended to use a PDF help file.
Creating the help system of an application or website
To create the help system of an application or website:
- Open your project in WINDEV, WEBDEV or WINDEV Mobile.
- Click in the quick access buttons.
- In the window that appears, click "Architecture", and then "Help".
- The help system creation wizard starts automatically.
- Go to the next step of the wizard and choose the type of help system you want to generate:
- HTML: the help system will be a static site with a summary and full-text search.
- CHM: the help system will use the Microsoft HTML Help 1.3 format.
- PDF: the help system will be a PDF document with a summary and bookmarks.
- Go to the next step.
- Specify the name of the help system. Go to the next step of the wizard.
- Select the application windows for which a help page must be generated.
If you choose to generate a CHM help file, you can select "Automatically generate the help button in each window" to automatically create a help button in each selected window. This button will automatically open the corresponding help page.
- Go to the next step.
- Select the application reports for which a help page must be generated. Go to the next step of the wizard.
- Validate. The wizard creates the set of help pages and prompts you to generate the help system in the desired format.
- Save the help: a WDH file is created in your project.
The help system is created and appears in the help editor. Each page can now be modified, deleted, ... in the help editor.
|List of help pages. |
This list corresponds to the table of contents of the generated help file.
|Image of the window or report associated with the help page.|
This image is displayed in a header area.
This image corresponds to the window or to the report associated with the help page in edit. This image can be moved to the body area of the help page for example.
|Title of the help page. |
This title is displayed in a header area. This area can have a specific background color.
|Body of the help page. |
Contains the text, the images, the links, ... of the help.
In the default pages generated for the windows and reports of the application, this area includes the image of the window or report and the image of each plane, if necessary.
|Tabs used to go from the summary to the index.|
: Once your help system is created, use one of the following methods to open this help system in the help editor:
- on the "Home" tab, in the "General" group, expand "Open", select "Open", then select the corresponding help file (WDH file).
- select the "Helps" folder in the "Project explorer" pane and double-click the name of the help system.
Viewing the help system properties
The help system properties allow you to define:
- the logical name of the help system,
- the default page displayed by the help,
- the languages supported by the help system,
To view the properties of the help system, go to the "Modification" tab, "Help system" group and click "Description".
This page is also available for…