- Handling the Custom-Folders in the analysis
- Handling a Custom-Folder
- Actions that can be performed on a Custom-Folder
- Customizing the graphic representation of the Custom-Folder
- Printing the content of the Custom-Folder
- Handling groups/Custom-Folders through programming
Custom-Folders in the analysis
When handling analyses containing several descriptions of data files, the analysis graph is difficult to read. To manage these large analyses, WINDEV, WEBDEV and WINDEV Mobile propose Custom-Folders in the analysis.
Custom-Folders are used to group several descriptions of data files together.
These "Custom-Folders" are used to simplify:
- the search and the display of the description of a data file found in a large analysis.
- the operation performed on the groups of data files through programming.
For example, you can change the connection for all the data files in a Custom-Folder with HChangeConnection: to do so, specify the name of the Custom-Folder that must be handled in the WLanguage function (see the list of available functions below).
This feature is available for HFSQL Classic data files, HFSQL Client/Server data files and data files handled by Native Access.
These groupings are defined in the "Analysis" pane
or in the analysis graph. These Custom-Folders are not physically created.
The following example groups the data files according to their category:
- A Custom-Folder can be empty and contain no data file description.
- It is not mandatory to associate a data file description to a Custom-Folder.
- A Custom-Folder cannot belong to another Custom-Folder.
- Two Custom-Folders cannot have the same name.
- A Custom-Folder cannot have the same name as a data file description.
Handling the Custom-Folders in the analysis
The different operations that can be performed on the Custom-Folders of the analysis are as follows:
- create a Custom-Folder.
- rename a Custom-Folder.
- delete a Custom-Folder.
- associate a file description with a Custom-Folder.
- dissociate a file description from a Custom-Folder.
To handle the Custom-Folders in the analysis, the "Analysis" pane must be displayed. To display the "Analysis" pane, go to the "Home" tab, "Environment" group, expand "Panes", select "Panes" and then select "Analysis".
Handling a Custom-Folder
To create a Custom-Folder:
- In the "Analysis" pane (or in the analysis graph), select "New Custom-Folder" in the context menu (right click). A new Custom-Folder is automatically created.
- Enter the name of this Custom-Folder and confirm (Enter key).
To rename a Custom-Folder:
- Select the Custom-Folder to rename in the "Analysis" pane.
- Open the context menu (right click) and select "Rename" (or press F2).
- Enter the new name of this Custom-Folder and confirm (Enter key).
To delete a Custom-Folder:
- Select the Custom-Folder to delete (in the "Analysis" pane or in the analysis graph).
- Open the context menu (right click) and select "Delete".
- The Custom-Folder is deleted. The data files associated with this Custom-Folder are automatically dissociated from this Custom-Folder.
To associate a file description with a Custom-Folder:
- Select the file description that must be associated with the Custom-Folder.
- Drag and Drop the description in the desired Custom-Folder. The description is automatically associated with the Custom-Folder.
Remark: If the description already belonged to a Custom-Folder, the description is only associated with the new Custom-Folder.
To dissociate a file description from a Custom-Folder:
- Select the file description to dissociate in the "Analysis" pane.
- Right-click to open the context menu and select "Remove from Custom-Folder".
- The file description is automatically dissociated from the Custom-Folder.
Actions that can be performed on a Custom-Folder
Customizing the graphic representation of the Custom-Folder
Customizing a Custom-Folder consists in displaying a specific background image in the Custom-Folder.
To customize the graphic representation of a Custom-Folder:
- Select the Custom-Folder in the analysis graph.
- Right-click to open the context menu and select "Description".
- Check "Representation of the Custom-Folder in the analysis graph" and select the desired image. This image will be displayed in the graphic representation of the Custom-Folder.
Printing the content of the Custom-Folder
You have the ability to print the documentation of the elements found in the Custom-Folder:
- Select the Custom-Folder in the "Analysis" pane.
- Open the context menu (right click) and select "Print".
Handling groups/Custom-Folders through programming
Several WLanguage functions can be used to handle Custom-Folders through programming:
|HChangeConnection||Dynamically changes the connection associated with a data file.|
|HChangeDir||Changes the path to a data file (i.e. directory in which the file will be handled).|
|HChangeLocation||Modifies the search mode of physical data files (.FIC, .NDX, ...).|
|HClose||Closes a data file or all the data files opened by the current user: all the corresponding physical data files are closed for the current user.|
|HCreationIfNotFound||Performs the following operations: |
- If the file does not exist, creates an empty data file (".FIC" file) with the index file and the memo file if necessary. The function is equivalent to HCreation.
- If the file exists, opens the file.
|HFlush||Forces the operating system of the computer where the data files are found to write data onto the disk.|
|HListFile||Returns the list of files:|
- found in the current analysis or in a specific analysis recognized by the HFSQL engine. The files defined by HDeclare, HDeclareExternal and HDescribeFile are taken into account.
- available on a connection via a native access or via an OLE DB driver.
- for a group of files defined in the data model editor.
|HOpen||Opens a data file.|
|HPass||Defines the password used to create or open a data file.|
This page is also available for…